How often does your honey-do list seem like it’s never going to end? Maybe you are the “honey” and you’re tired of spending every weekend or night after work, fixing something at the house. Or maybe you don’t have a honey to do the repairs for you. That’s where McCauley Services comes in to play. From mid-size repairs to replacements to installations, McCauley is here to serve as your local handyman. In addition to a team of pest control specialists, we also have an electrical team ready to help get your home or business in order. If your outlet or light switch doesn’t turn on when it is supposed to, it’s old or looks black (as if it has caught fire), It’s time to replace them.
Replacing Outlets and Switches
Outlets and switches are similar in terms of being replaced. The only difference is typical that an outlet has more wires attached than the light switch. So you want to do it yourself? Let us walk you through what you need to do.
- First things first, TURN OFF YOUR POWER. The last thing you want is to get electrocuted while trying to change out an outlet or a switch.
- Look at your new outlet. The top of it should have two terminal screws. There are two located at the top and bottom of your new outlet. - Unscrew your terminal plate and make sure to use a voltage tester so you know there is no power running to it.
- There is a thin metal piece that connects these screws. This has to be intact to ensure electricity goes to each part of the outlet. This is where the wires are held in place - make sure you make note of where the colored and white wires are attached.
- Unscrew your entire outlet with the wires still attached. The easiest way to ensure you attach the wires in the right place is to follow the model of the first outlet that you are replacing.
- Remove your wires. *The most important thing to know – the hot, black wires or colored, wires attached to the brass screws. The neutral, or white, wire attaches to the silver screws. If this is wired in the opposite way, this can cause sparks or a fire.*
- Make sure to see if the old outlet has a thin metal piece from earlier connected or not. If not, on your new outlet, remove the corresponding metal piece with needle-nose pliers.
- Now is when you are going to attach the wires of your news outlet, following the model of the old outlet. If there is a green ground wire, make sure to attach it to the green terminal on the new outlet or to the electrical box.
- Screw your new outlet back into place.
- Cover your new outlet with the cover plate and screw it back into place.
Does this sound like a lot of work? It is if you don’t know what you are doing. It can also be incredibly dangerous if not done correctly. That is why we suggest calling McCauley Services.
Is It Worth it to Hire Someone to Help Out?
Convenience and safety are worth spending a little extra money sometimes. The last thing you want to do is replace an outlet or a switch and end up doing it wrong. It could be as frustrating as the power not working correctly, or it could end up causing a fire or injury to you or a loved one. When you hire McCauley services, that isn’t something that you have to worry about. Not only do we save you time, but also you can ensure that the job is done correctly and safely. We always get the job done right.
Meet The Electricians
Our electrician, Richie Tucker has been our master electrician for over 5 years now. Richie earned his Master Electrician license through several years of schooling in electrical theory and electrical building codes completing his required experience for on the job training and classroom hours. It’s safe to say that our electrician team is knowledgeable, professional, trustworthy, caring and truly capable of helping you with your electrical needs. We promise to work above and beyond your expectations.
McCauley services have the experience necessary to make your honey-do list easy to complete. Let us mark off changing your outlet or light switch and leave you comfortable, knowing the job was done correctly and safely by one of our professionals. We’ve been making pest control & handyman house calls since 1983. Find out why folks across Arkansas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma love McCauley Services and choose us time and time again when you schedule your services with us.